If you have just become a mother or father and it is your first baby, you may be worried about whether or not you are really ready to care for a newborn. But don’t worry, these feelings are more normal than you might imagine, and if you listen to your instincts, you will realize how nature will help you more than you think. All parents feel uncertain when it comes to going home with their newborn baby. There are some points that you should keep in mind for good newborn care.
You can train and learn about how to treat a newborn during pregnancy in the maternity classes that will surely be in your area. However, feeding or diapering a baby doll has nothing to do with reality. During the stay in the hospital, you can ask all your questions to the nurses and thus get the help you need on the basic care of the baby.
Do not hesitate to ask the nurses during your stay in the hospital everything you need as many times as you need, remember that practice makes perfect. Before discharge from the hospital, make sure that both you and your partner are comfortable with the following basic care concepts for newborn care:
- Hold the baby and support his neck well
- Change diapers
- Baby bath
- Dress the baby
- Swaddling the baby with a blanket
- Burping after feeding
- Umbilical cord cleaning
- How to clean your nostrils in case you have mucus
- Taking the body temperature of the newborn
- Tips to calm the baby
Before and after leaving the hospital
Before leaving the hospital you must have everything marked in the previous point very clear. Also, if you have questions after being at home with your baby, do not hesitate to ask your pediatrician any questions you may have. If you are breastfeeding your baby and have questions, you can contact a breastfeeding specialist so that they can provide support and follow-up, as well as resources or support groups to make you feel more confident.
You can also talk with family members or friends who have been parents recently to have support people and have them meet you for a few days to talk about motherhood and gain confidence in what you do. But remember that the advice of others should not condition your decisions, since your instinct is also very important.
Remember that the first visit to the pediatrician with your baby is also a good time for you to ask any child care questions you may have. Also ask about all the vaccinations your baby needs and when you should get them. Infants and young children need vaccines to protect them from diseases that can be life threatening in infancy.
Beware of Sudden Infant Death
Also ask about Sudden Infant Death, babies be placed on their backs to sleep to reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome, also called crib death. They can also be turned on their side by changing the position from one side to the other with a roller on the back so that they are protected. Follow these tips to avoid sudden infant death:
- Place your baby on his back (face up) to sleep
- Have a firm mattress and a suitable crib where the baby always sleeps
- Don’t keep stuffed animals, blankets, or anything similar around your baby while he sleeps. Make sure to keep all pillows, duvets, stuffed animals and other soft objects away from the area where your baby sleeps
- Make sure everyone who cares for your baby knows how to position him to sleep
- Don’t allow smoking near the baby
- Do not keep the baby too hot while sleeping, the room should have a comfortable temperature for an adult