Babies are the best gift God can shower a person with. They are little angels with tiny feet and hands and skin so soft and sensitive as touching a fur. Taking care of a baby is the most difficult task any person can do, especially when choosing baby products or bathing him.
Though there is no reason you can’t use shampoo or soap on your baby’s body, however, you need to exercise some caution before choosing the product. Let’s take a look at what should be avoided when giving a bath to a baby and the conditions applied to choosing the products. Additionally, you can always scour around parenting sites like Babyjourney and more to check on product reviews prior to buying.
Ingredients to Shun while Choosing Baby Products
Here are a few guidelines that will help a novice mother choose the right product for their baby. When buying the baby products, make sure you avoid these ingredients:
- Make sure you don’t use products that have any presence of fragrance in them.
- It is also necessary to evade such products that are ending in ‘paraben.’
- Stay clear of those products that have chemical-sounding names, such as PEG-40.
- Never give your baby a bath from adult shower gels or soaps that include petroleum jelly, which is harsh for baby skin.
- Ensure that the product you choose for your kid doesn’t contain any harsh substance like sodium lauryl sulfate, etc.
Guide to Giving Your Baby a Bath
For a newbie mom giving baths to their babies is the toughest task they have ever come across. Here’s a guide that will help you get through it with ease and perfection without affecting your child’s skin or health.
- Supplies: Firstly, you need to gather all the supplies you would require to bathe your child. These include cotton washcloths, hooded plush towels, unscented, mild soap or shower gel, cotton balls, a plastic basin filled with warm water, baby lotion, clean diaper, diaper cream, a fresh set of soft cotton clothes, and a blanket.
- Once you have gathered the supplies, set up the sponge bath for your baby with one towel on top of another and everything else within reach.
- You shall then prepare your baby for the bath by laying him down on the towel, washing his top half of the body first, and wrapping his lower part of the body in a blanket.
- Firstly you shall focus on the baby’s face and clean it with a washcloth or cotton ball dipped in warm water. Gently clean the area of his eyes, mouth, and chin.
- Then you shall proceed with his body, i.e., first, the front portion, turn him back, gently wash his back, and quickly bring in into the front position.
- Clean the diaper area with a washcloth dipped in warm water.
- Dry him up and apply powder or cream that is not containing any fragrance or toxic ingredients.
- Dress him up, and he is ready for a day out.